Friday, June 24, 2011

Should be 6/23

No big deal, I was just crucial in the Egyptian revolution and got kidnapped a bit...


This was a pretty laid back Thursday and the day I think everyone took to kind of recharge before the last push. The day started off with us waiting in line to get into the McCann Worldgroup seminar. Why was there a line? Probably because the panel included the CEO of Mccann Worldgroup as well as Will.I.am of the black eyed peas. The guy that created rock band was also there and that was really cool. He said at one point that "technology is the most malleable resource we have." I couldn't agree more. I thought this panel was pretty good, even though I expected Will.I.am to be a better speaker, he still did a good job and had lots of good comments. I went to a pretty cool master class by 20something which is an agency in Belgium. What really made me interested in this agency is the fact that it's run completely by students. It sounds weird but it's actually a really cool concept. An agency called 6+1 came up with the idea for it. I love this agency because they are all about the client and what is best for them. The name 6+1 explains it all. These guys go and work for their clients for a day to understand them better. The name break down is as follows; 6, because of the six founders + 1, which is the client = 7 the optimal number signifying that together they make great advertising. I thought that was pretty awesome. They went on to explain how the 20something process works since it continuously has new students at the agency. It actually made a lot of sense and it was really interesting to see how it came to be. The final talk of the day was the most intense in my opinion. We got the amazing opportunity to speak with Amr Salama. He is a film producer from Egypt but was a huge player in the Egyptian revolution. I honestly don't think I could explain his talk because it was just so humble and interesting and a combination of a million things. I still can't believe we got the chance to talk to him. He told us what it was like to live in Egypt and all about the censorship and how much they tried to stop the news from spreading about the revolution and how everyone is trying to learn about a constitution and social media played and still plays such a big role, it was just a lot all at once. I think what surprised me the most was his honesty. He genuinely just wanted us to know what happened and what it was like and just barely said he got kidnapped and that basically he played a huge role. I really admired his humility and especially how he said that it wasn't about one person being the leader of the revolution, it was about everyone being a leader. He told us that when we chose a client, to make sure we believe in the company and the product because if we don't we're going to fail. Just the fact that he tried to tie something that seems insignificant in comparison to a whole revolution was another sign of humility on his part in my opinion. I'll probably tell my kids about him one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment