Sunday, June 26, 2011

Commercial 1: Old Spice

Old Spice - Odor Blocker Body Wash - Wieden + Kennedy Portland - United Kingdom
Odor Blocker


The old spice legacy that Wieden + Kennedy have created is amazing. They've managed to bring back a brand that was falling into the shadows against new, cooler brands, such as axe. That being said, I'm really tired of the old spice guy. In this specific commercial they attempted to play off the campaign that shot them to stardom and recruited Terry Crews to basically create the same commercial except on steroids. The point of the commercial is to promote their new line of odor blocker body wash. I like that it's a new guy (and Terry Crews is pretty cool), but, the muscular black guy in a towel is just getting old and annoying for me. The concept of the commercial is on track and the filming is done very well. I don't blame them for trying to capitalize on their very successful idea, but, I think they're all about creating different types of ads that people haven't really seen before. I did like how in one of the spots the camera went into his armpit and then into that guys armpit and so fourth. It was a really cool effect and I think it helped convey the message that it penetrates deep enough to keep you smelling good. The rest of the camera angles were pretty stationary, Mostly Crews standing in one spot and things happening in the background.  They didn't use as much green screen technology as the first commercial and that was a plus because it differentiated the two. I also liked that they tried to make it a little rougher of a commercial then the previous one. Crews was tougher looking and spoke like a big guy, unlike the original old spice man who's more elegant and handsome. I also think they could have mentioned more studies to prove that it actually does work better but, it was still a pretty good commercial. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the green screen technology...I thought it was better they used less in the second commercials. Also, I think you're right about them capitalizing on their popular idea. I mean, it BLEW UP virally! Why fix something that ain't broke? haha

    ReplyDelete